14 February 2011

Assignment 1a - Me, Myself & I (Design Process)

Task: Create one design based on the letters of my name, initial or nickname. Use these letters to interpret myself through manipulation of letters, use of symbols, shapes and colours (i.e. visual form).

Step 1: I start off by creating a list of my favourite things and activities. I then translate these into visual form.
Step 2: I choose 4 out of the 8 designs to create the preliminary sketches.
  1. Interpretation for my love to travel. The perspective of the road gives the feeling of long distance travelling.
  2. This design shows my love for nature and in this aspect, the snow. My name is etched into the snow. To make it more recognisable, I place a Christmas tree and a snowman on top. The whole composition does not look realistic due to the placement of the objects and the lack of shading.
  3. Interpretation for my interest in headphones.
  4. I wanted to show people that I am proud being a medic. Instead of having the red cross, I use the idea of a medical logo to create my name. One need to tilt his or her head to the right to be able to read my name.
Step 3: From the preliminary sketches, I have chose design 3 and 4 to develop it further into the 2 roughs as required.
  • My name is formed by the wire
  • I ran out of ideas for the colour to use in this design as a headphone is normally black/grey in colour
  • This design is the simplest to make as I can just twirl the wire to form my name
  • My name is formed by the medical serpents
  • I tried to make the design as simple as possible to show people that I am a simple person
  • The whole design is meant to show people of my passion as a medic
  • The use of different shades of green symbolises nature which is one of my interest
  • This design is relatively harder to make as compared to the earlier one as the serpents need to have natural curl and the width of the serpents should remain constant
After going through these processes, I have chosen the concept of medical logo to develop it further using computer graphics. My choice is influence by the fact that this design has more room for further development. See the outcome in the upcoming post!

No comments: