21 March 2011

Assignment 4 - Colour Coalition

Task: Design ONE postcard (both front and back) to promote, or create awareness of a travel theme.

My initial concept is on food. I usually associate travel with food. One problem that might arise is having too much colour in it. Thus, I use fruits instead. After doing the illustration, I went on with the colour explorations as shown below.
Following the colour exploration, I picked up the most appropriate colour combination for my postcard. The colour combination that I have chosen gives viewer a sense of tropical feeling since the colours are relatively warm. This suits the concept as I have chosen tropical fruits in this assignment.
The comment that I got was the colour exploration is not in-depth. I should have played around with the colour for the outline of the fruits as well. The concept of fruits does not really fit in the travel theme as fruits can now be easily imported or exported.

Since the concept does not fit in the travel theme, I had decided to change the whole concept. My new concept is on riding safely. This is similar to assignment 3, where my concept is on motorcycle accident.

Having said that, I chose a photo that I have originally taken for assignment 3. I crop the image to fit the size of a postcard.

I then make a live trace out of it. The outcome is as follow.
Since there are unwanted images in the background, I spent some time to get rid of those items. I then got a clean image for my colour exploration.
The way I did the colour exploration is slightly different from the previous one. I did a comprehensive colour exploration based on the different types of colour combinations.
Following the colour exploration, I picked up the most suitable colour combination for my postcard. The colour combination that I have chosen is from the talking colour series. Riding should not be too extreme thus the light contrast. While the contrast is not that great, the colour red is fierce enough to show that riding should be taken seriously.

No comments: